2015 Chateau Mauvesin Barton Moulis en Medoc
The history of Chateau Mauvesin dates from the 15th Century. It was in 1457 that Jean de Foix Grailly became proprietor of the first Chateau de Mauvesin (for there will be two) in the district of “Moulis en Médoc”. At this time it was a true fortified castle with towers, battlements and arrowslites. Fifty years later it was acquired by the family de La Rivière and then through the marriage in 1582 of Marguerite de La Rivière with Jacques Le Blanc, who thus became “seigneur” of Mauvesin. Soon after the Revolution in 1792 the old chateau was seized by the state and put up for sale in Lesparre, where it was attributed to “citizen” Clarcke acting for the account of … Pauline Le Blanc.
The old chateau remained the property of the family but due to its state of ruin, it was demolished in 1852. The construction of the present chateau in 1853 on the site of the original chateau is thanks to Marquis Lodoïs Le Blanc de Mauvesin and his wife. The Marquis Lodoïs Le Blanc de Mauvesin died in 1884 leaving no direct heirs. He decided to leave his patrimony to his first cousin, Hyppolite de Baritault du Carpia, his closest relative. The Baritaults, an eminent family originally from the Vendée area, kept Chateau Mauvesin for 4 generations up to its sale in 2011. The Viscount and Viscountess Alain de Baritault du Carpia, heirs of the family Le Blanc de Mauvesin, sold the property on the 4th August 2011 to Lilian and Michel Barton Sartorius. The Barton family has for eight generations been owners of the Crus Classés Langoa and Leoville Barton, situated in the appellation Saint Julien.