2020 Girolamo Russo "Nerina" Etna Bianco, Sicily, Italy

$48.99

Several of the vines used for this wine are over 100 years old, which adds incredible concentration and depth. Mineral with notes of lush tropical fruit, this is delicious paired with all manner of fish, vegetable, and seafood dishes. 

There are 4 units left in stock.

$48.99

ABOUT THIS WINE

Russo’s ‘Nerina’ is a rich blend of 70% Carricante, and the rest being 30% Catarratto, Inzolia, Grecanico, and Minnella.

Farming is certified organic. The vines were planted in 1924, 1964 and 2016 at an altitude of 700 meters. The soils composure is volcanic which is typical of Mt. Etna. The fruit was harvested the first week of October.

Controlled low temperature fermentation in 70% steel and 30% tonneaux with indigenous yeasts Aging: 6 months in 70% steel and 30% tonneaux, on the lees

ABOUT THIS PRODUCER

Giuseppe Russo is a quiet thoughtful man, formerly a pianist. Since 2005 he has been organically farming his family's old vineyards, many of the vines around 100 years of age, and he is restoring the old cellar under his house. He has 15 hectares of vines on the North side of Etna around the town of Passopisciaro and sells off the fruit from the youngest vines.

The majority of Russo’s grapes goes toward the making his entry-level Etna Rosso, called a’Rina. While a’Rina is mostly from his younger vines, there is fruit from vines dating back over 100 years included in the blend.

In addition to a’Rina, Giuseppe produces wines from three different crus, San Lorenzo, Feudo and Feudo di Mezzo. Giuseppe will tell you that the more generous examples come from Feudo, a 6 hectare site planted in the 1950’s. From San Lorenzo, 8 hectares planted around 1940, you get a wine with more structure and aging potential. Giuseppe began making wine from his third single vineyard, Feudo di Mezzo, a tiny, 1-hectare, in 2011. The parcel was planted between 1920 and 1940 makes a for a sleek, polished bottling. In addition to his reds, Russo also makes an Etna Rosato from Nerello Mascalese and an Etna Bianco from Carricante, Catarratto and other local whites.

Details:

Vintage 2020
Producer Girolamo Russo
Wine Type White Wine
Grape(s) Carricante, Catarratto, Inzolia, Grecanico, Minnella
Appellation Mt. Etna
Country Italy
Farming Organic